- Why do you think it is important to tie the technology to the objective?
The medium must be compatible with the learning and performance goals. If it isn't, a lot of time and effort can be wasted.
2. Why should we hold students accountable for the stations/centers?
They need to be thoughtful and careful with any equipment - the books in their backpack, the facilities, etc. The facilities must be in the same good condition for the next group of students, ready to be used.
3. Visit 2 of the applicable links to interactive websites for your content/grade level. Which sites did you like. How could you use them as stations? How can you hold the students accountable for their time in these stations?
It has been my observation that students need guidance from a well-prepared teacher in order to make best use of his/her time, whether in the classroom or at home. They can get distracted by "shiny objects" in their digital environment as well as in their physical environment. The teacher is like a Himalayan Sherpa. He doesn't do the hiking for you, but he definitely keeps you heading in the right direction.
4. List two to three apps you found for the iPod Touch/iPad that you can use in your classroom. What do you see that station looking like? How can you hold the students accountable for their time in these stations?
Promising iPad apps:
ZDFmediathek provides reports on news, weather, sports, culture, etc.
DW-Themen provides short articles on current events, a glossary, and a short reading comprehension quiz.
LEO is an interactive German/English dictionary and phrase app developed by the Technische Universitaet Muenchen, and excellent source of information for students of German.
Adventure German is a game for learners of German and was created by the Goethe-Institut.
5. What about other ways to use the iPod Touch/iPad? Share another way you can see your students using the device as a station.
I have used the iPad to record videos of student presentations. Students have used it to search for information at German web sites. We have used it to watch youtube videos of a German singer-songwriter as well as interviews and speeches. It is a handy gadget, and it has much to offer.